Friday 23 January 2015

Poison Ivy (Comics)

This mini was done pretty quickly by my standards, and for very practical reasons. I have signed up for a BMG tournament at Titan Games in March, so need a playable crew in time for that.

From the  BMG Leaders I had available, Poison Ivy had the easiest colour scheme to tackle with 4 main colour choices (hair, two costume colours, flesh), therefore seemed the best option in terms of fitting with the models I have. The nice simple colour scheme was a pleasant experience in terms of making this a quick-to-finish mini (at least by my usual slow standards). I am having a fairly good start to the year.

I plan to use Solomon Grundy as one member of her crew (for durable muscle), and maybe the Riddler too, although I am hoping to paint Deadshot instead (and have made a start on that mini; my understanding is he is a very useful and cost-efficient ranged option). I have decided against using Clayface due to his stupidly unbalanced base positioning; I have said it before, but I feel Knight Models should have opted for 50 mm bases for some of their bigger models, but that is by the by.

I will have to paint some Henchmen too in order to fill out the ranks, so will tackle some Plants and a couple of Prisoners very soon since I can cut down on painting time by doing stuff simultaneously. I have also been doing some painting on Objectives.

The next thing for me (alongside more painting) is getting to grips with the game, and I have the hard-copy on pre-order. I hope to get a couple of games to practice before the tournament day, but time will tell (and willing opponents!). I will be looking at online resources to help, such a the Cheaphammer blog which features head-to-head gaming comparisons of key models.

11 comments:

  1. She looks good....and dedaly!

    Hope you get some good games with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I hope to get some good games too! :)

      Looking at the pics may add a little more highlight to the peaks of the lighter green areas.

      Delete
  2. Ivy is gorgeous mate well done!. I shall begin work on the penguin and his cronies asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man! Can't wait to see what you do. :)

      Of course the speed you paint I will be embarrassingly behind you!

      Delete
  3. I really like her. I guess you've used less shades than usual, but that seems to give her a forties pin-up feel.

    Also, if worst comes to worst, you now actually have crew to use with her Clayface and Grundy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keiron. I hope to remain on course for a more substantial crew, with Plants up next.

      I have since highlighted a little more on the lighter parts of the body suit which has made the paint-job a little more satsifying.

      Delete
    2. And as for Clayface, thanks to the 'too small' (in my opinion) use of 40 mm for his base, my version is never likely to go near a gaming table as I would be always have to touch up his paint work after falling over in games. :)

      Delete
  4. Another splendid character piece, lovely work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I have a few more BMG minis in the pipeline, so stay tuned. :)

      Delete
  5. She's a beauty dude! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Bob. :)

      After the pics I did a little more work so I hope she is even better now (I will probably photograph her with her plants so the 'update' of her paint-job can be seen). :)

      Delete